Forums Mitsubishi Forums Lancer Lancer 08+ Lancer 08+ DIY Installations Lancer Transmission conversion

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin rojas
    Participant
      • Topics1
      • Replies0
      • Total1
      • Spectator

This shouldnt cost more then $1200-$1500 in parts or less and depending on if you do it yourselves or have a mechanic do it.

Items needed :

Manual transmission 5 speed \ 6 speed

Floor gear shifter m\t

Both Front driver \ passenger axles

Clutch plate flywheel kit

Clutch master cylinder

Manual transmission mounts

Shift cables for m\t

Shift cable bracket

Clutch pedal

Wire harness for m\t car

Clutch line

Flywheel bolts ….. Not included in clutch kit

Brake reservoir

tune Ecu \ or buy Ecu for manual vehicle

Transmission —————————————————————-

Look for anything under 100k miles

Lkq USA \ Canada are great companies which offer transmission at great prices

2.4 \ 2.0 engines are the same so same transmission

2009 , 2010 , 2011 same car (FWD)

2012-present same car (AWD)

Pay attention to transmission: SST is not manual CVT is not manual.

Transmission oil

Floor Gear Shifter ——————————————————————-

5 speed \ 6 speed M\t are the same shifter

It could be off a evo or raillart or base lancer , which must likely would be a DE lancer \ GTS lancer

GTS are 2008- 2011 \ GT are 2012-up (IDK)

Ebay is the way to find them

Axles Shafts ——————————————————————————

Since the transmission is being changed so will the axles

Must buy for manual transmission NO CVT

Axles don’t matter on 5 speed or 6 speed

It could be purchase from PartsGeek they manufacture some of their axles so you buying brand new ones

Clutch kit \ flywheel ————————————————————————

Many brands out there for clutch and different stages

Clutch kits go from 2008-2010 \ 2011 – up

2.0 same as 2.4

Full kits sold on eBay with everything you need

Make sure it has the clutch slave cylinder

On the Mitsubishi lancer : clutch salve cylinder is located in the transmission housing so don’t go of buying the usual clutch slave cylinder thinking it will fit your car.

There is a way to do an external slave cylinder but hasn’t been done for the lancers yet from what I know ….. Ill try it out in the future

Stage 1 through 4 ( MAX ) are performance scale level

Now for flywheel there’s a company called LuK Corp. great company , they have fro 08-14. DO NOT BUY EVO FLYWHEEL ! It wider then the regular lancer ones. If you do must buy longer flywheel bolts to make it fit correctly

Clutch master cylinder —————————————————————-

Not your usual brake master cylinder

It will be a plastic tube unlike the regular metal assembly one

Evo \ Base lancer are the same

Will need you clutch line connected to it can use off a evo

Ebay has Sabana selling them for 2008-2015

The ball point end goes connected directly to the clutch pedal

Transmission mounts ————————————————————————–

Now this is the tricky part . I never found the correct mounts

Evo mounts are not the same as the base M\t mounts

Nor do the stock cvt or automatic mounts work

What I did is bought evo ones and welded it to the transmission and did certain amount of bents to make it fit correctly

New bolts will also have to be bought depending on the way you go with

There are three mounts front lower transmission \ right hand facing vehicle  \ rear lower mount connected to the Sub frame

This is a very hard task , must need a good welder to go ahead with this project .

shifts cables m\t ……………..bracket ——————————————————

Shift cables for manual transmission are two cables

Not sure if evo \ raillart \ base lancer share shift cables but I went with base lancer and was fine.

Only company as I know has them is by Mitsubishi directly from Texas factory as found in eBay

Don’t go cheap and buy used ones these go bad often …. Just buy from Mitsubishi

Shift cable bracket are a pain in the ><><><><><

If you don’t get the bracket with the transmission which is almost impossible from LKQ you will have to retrofit with evo ones

I have not found any company online that sell the correct bracket

Just incase you wonder what it is , it is a bracket with two U like inserts for the shift cables to hold on before it connects with the transmission

Will need the clips to hold them in place also which are extremely cheap ( or use zip ties like someone I know )

If you go with the Evo one you will need to cut 1/4 portion of the bracket to make it fit correctly with the transmission

Clutch pedal ——————————————————————————-

Simple and easy , any clutch pedal will work ! Just make sure its for a lancer

On the lancer even if it’s an automatic , they have a cut out design on the car frame to installed the clutch pedal

Two way to go about this set up you can also purchase the brake pedal that came of a manual \ Reason why: a\t and m\t have different size brake pedals

For example a\t have a wider brake pedal then a m\t one reason idkkkkkk

Or you can use the stock brake pedal just tighter when switching from the clutch to the brake when stepping on it

Now when you see the cut out under the dash for the clutch assembly you will notice two mounts that has threads for a nut to screw on

These two mounts with threads are for some reason not distance correctly

There’s two things you can go by this you can cut of one of the mounts and reinstall it by welding it on the frame in the correct position

Or bolt it on as is and will notice the clutch being a little slanted towards the brake pedal

Engine Wire Harness ————————————————————————–

You do not need it if your good at reading charts and wiring new lines with connectors

if you don’t buy you will need the following : two wires that go to the clutch pedal to the safety switch on the transmission and one for the reverse connector 4guage wire works fine

If you do buy the harness which is better make sure it’s the full harness now you wont have to take if off but just take off certain things from it to install it in the stock harness

There’s going to be 3 set placements for the harness : 1- headlights to the front connectors of the car 2- engine connectors 3- firewall connectors which is what you need

Literally everything is the same on all harness besides the firewall one

Cvt harness \ sst harness \ automatic harness all have a extra 4th wire that goes to the transmission the m\t doesn’t

The clutch wires will be located in red and white on the firewall section

The reverse wires will be located on the transmission harness of the stock ones cvt or sst or a\t which you can located by having the car in automatic and locating the connector with a voltage machine thingy maggie …..

Once located the wires follow it to the fuse box and splice the came so you can place a new wire to the new connector to go on the transmission which is located on the rear left hand side of the transmission

Its three cables your connecting the connector is found on the engine section of the hardness and its white green black

• This topic was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Kevin rojas.
      • This topic was modified 5 years ago by Kevin Brown.
      Christian jay Lopez
      Participant
        • Topics0
        • Replies1
        • Total1
        • Spectator

Ok it is superhard to find a shifter cable bracket can’t even find one from an evo what should i do?

Thorns
        Participant
          • Topics0
          • Replies1
          • Total1
          • Spectator

It was a pain to find this. Use megazip. I’ve ordered many parts from there including the shift cable bracket. It was on backorder and I had to wait like a month to get it. Part number is 23901. Make sure you order the clips and some of the bolts to mount it.

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/mitsubishi/lancer-4379/cy4a-10532/snjhl7m-164056/m-t-gearshift-control-1869596#/il-42974200-4905049-4905049

Daniel Isai Diaz
          Participant
            • Topics0
            • Replies1
            • Total1
            • Spectator

Hi, so Im doing the swap, I have everything bolted on, but my question is more on the ecu, my lancer is a 16, can I just plug and play an older ecu but manual, will maf and sensors work the same? Any info will help.

Daniel P
            Participant
              • Topics0
              • Replies1
              • Total1
              • Spectator

Hi, so Im doing the swap, I have everything bolted on, but my question is more on the ecu, my lancer is a 16, can I just plug and play an older ecu but manual, will maf and sensors work the same? Any info will help.

Hi, Did you ever figure this out, does the ecu need to be reprogrammed or can the donor ecu just be swapped in?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            X